- Middle School
Dear Students and Families,
Welcome to the 2023-2024 school year! The faculty and staff at Thornton Academy Middle School are looking forward to the start of another great year!
I hope you are enjoying the summer. My husband, our two young sons, and I have been bike riding, playing on the beach, spending time on our boat, and just being outdoors as much as possible. I am very excited to hear all about your summer adventures when you return to school. I’m sure you all have great stories to share!
The Thornton Academy campus has been very busy this summer. Faculty members have been participating in staff development workshops, previewing instructional materials for use in our educational programs, and preparing their classrooms for the start of the school year. It has certainly been a productive summer for the faculty at TA Middle School (TAMS).
I am thrilled to share that two new teachers are joining us this fall:
- Mr. Wyatt LeBlanc will be our new Special Education teacher.
- Mr. Tom Cote will be joining the 6th, 7th, and 8th Grade Team. Mr. Cote will primarily be in the 6th grade, have a 6th grade homeroom, and teach Math and Writing to 6th graders. Mr. Cote will also teach 7th and 8th Grade Humanities.
We are thrilled to welcome Mr. LeBlanc and Mr. Cote to the TAMS Learning Community.
- Student Schedules: Student schedules will be handed out on the first day of school. Please do not expect to receive a schedule prior to the start of the school year. We do this purposefully so our staff is able to explain the schedule and answer students’ questions.
- New 7th and 8th Grade Team Structure: The 7th and 8th grade teachers will now make up one team - students will no longer be placed on what was previously referred to as the “Pod” or “Large Team”. Students will be placed in classes similar to how we place students at the upper school - by teacher and by block. This is being done in an effort to mix up students throughout the day and allow all 7th and 8th grade students to experience having multiple teachers. A quick example: Mary, John, and Sam may all be placed in Block One Science together. Block Two, Mary goes to Math, John goes to Social Studies, and Sam goes to English. This allows Mary, John, and Sam to have different classes with different peers throughout the day. Join me on August 22nd (see below) to learn more!
- 6th Grade: There will be three homeroom teachers this year: Mr. Cote, Mrs. Labrecque, and Ms. Cooney. Students will move for various subjects in 6th grade which will allow our 6th graders to experience having different teachers; however, 6th graders are more self-contained and will travel with their classmates.
- Welcome Back Zoom: Interested in learning more about the new 7th and 8th grade team dynamic? Curious about what a 6th grade schedule may look like? Please join me on August 22 at 9:00am for a “Welcome Back Q&A” via Zoom! I’ll explain the 6th, 7th, and 8th Grade Team Structure as well as answer all your back to school questions! Unable to make it on the 22nd? Join us on September 28th for the Fall Open House. We will talk about the new team dynamic at this event too!
- Homeroom Placement: This email contains an important attachment, a letter/supply list from your homeroom teacher (Grade 6) or team of teachers (Grade 7 & 8).
- iPad Deployment: Please expect a communication in mid-August regarding iPad deployment for 7th and 8th graders that will take place prior to the start of school. 6th graders will receive their iPads on the first day of school.
- TAMS General Information, Policies and Procedures: Lastly, please check out the MyTA page for all the TAMS Back to School documents including, a complete list of the TAMS Faculty and Staff and their contact information, the TAMS Student Handbook, Lunch Account Information, and much more!
I am truly looking forward to the start of the school year. September is always an exciting time, filled with endless possibilities. Please feel welcomed to contact me with any questions, comments, or concerns you may have. Enjoy the last few weeks of summer and I look forward to seeing you soon.
Dates to Remember
9:00 - 10:00am Welcome Back Q&A via Zoom with Mrs. Robert, Principal, Mr. Hersey, Assistant Principal, and Ms. Ramsey, School Counselor.
A link to the meeting will be sent on August 21.
BBQ and Meet & Greet for all NEW students (grades 6th, 7th and 8th)
5:00 - 7:00pm
First Day of School!
Students should arrive between 8 - 8:30 am and report directly to the Dining Commons on the first day. There will be plenty of staff outside welcoming and directing students.
September 1 - 4
No School - Labor Day Weekend
Parent/Guardian Technology Information Night
6:30 - 7:30pm TAMS Dining Commons
Join us for an informational meeting about technology use at TAMS. Our Director of Technology, Mr. Nasse will go over the TA Acceptable Use Policy, how to navigate Power School, Google Classroom, and answer any questions you may have regarding the school issued iPad.
Fall Athletic Parent Meeting via Zoom with Mrs. Robert and our Athletic Director, Mr. Stevens.
Link to come! No need to come back to campus, just join us via Zoom to hear all about TAMS Athletics!
School Picture Day (more information to come)
Early Release Day – students dismissed at noon.
Friends of Thornton Academy Middle School (FOTAMS) & 8th Grade Parent Group Meeting
6:30 - 7:00pm FOTAMS Meeting
7:00 - 8:00pm 8th Grade Parent Group Meeting
More information to come on both groups
Annual Fall Open House 6:30 - 8:00pm