Start your Thornton Academy journey today!
Here at Thornton the possibilities are endless. As Maine's largest independent school we have size on our side. We have a huge variety of clubs, sports teams, class options, and a diverse and inclusive student body. We are proud of our size because being big means more than just numbers - we are big on values, community, diversity, and traditions.
Visiting is your first big step on your journey to TA.
Joining our community means we get even bigger - we grow with your incredible passions, unique talents, and distinct personality.
Thornton Academy's campus is like a small university. With buildings spanning over 50 acres for students grades 6-12, there is a place for everyone! We have six dormitories, five classroom buildings, a separate middle school building, a gymnasium, a stadium that seats 4,000 with a turf field, and over eight athletic fields. Our campus is safe, green, and a great place to learn and grow!
our facilities include:
Hyde Library including research stations and maker space
- State-of-the-art New Media & Technology department with four digital media classrooms, a TV studio, green screen, and recording booth
- Garland Auditorium, with enough seating for 500 audience members
- New STEM center built in 2015, houses four science laboratories, and four math classrooms
- Six dormitories that accommodate 200 boarding students from around the world
- Turf athletic stadium with a track, numerous playing fields, and four tennis courts
438 Main Street (U.S. Route 1)
Saco, ME 04072
207-282-3361 - Main Office
207-282-5383 - Admissions
Thornton Academy is conveniently located 15 minutes from Portland, Maine and 90 minutes from Boston, Massachusetts.
Portland International Jetport (PWM): Located 15 minutes from Thornton Academy
Boston Logan International Airport (BOS): Located 90 minutes from Thornton Academy
By Train or Bus
- Concord Coach lines buses leave from Boston's South Station, or Logan Airport, and arrive in Portland. From Portland, it is easy to get a taxi or ride share to our campus.
Enjoy all that Maine has to offer by staying close to Thornton Academy and exploring Saco and Portland. The best sandy beaches, plenty of outdoor activities, and Portland's vibrant arts scene are just a short drive away. We invite you to see what Maine is all about during your visit.
- Old Orchard Beach: No visit is complete to Southern Maine without pier fries, a slice of pizza, and visit to Maine's longest beach.
- Portland Head Light: Located in Fort Williams Park in Cape Elizabeth, this is one of the most photographed lighthouses in the state of Maine.
- Ferry Beach State Park: Just 8 minutes away from Thornton Academy, Ferry Beach State Park encompasses a sandy Atlantic Ocean beach, inland hiking trails, and nature center.
Don't forget to stop for some Maine food specialties on your way!
- Biddeford City Theater: A restored Victorian opera house at 205 Main Street in Biddeford, Maine. City Theater produces and hosts theater, dance and music performances year-round.
- Portland Museum of Art: With an extensive collection and nationally renowned exhibitions, the Portland Museum of Art is the cultural heart of Portland, Maine.
- Engine: Engine is a non profit art gallery and exhibition space as well as a creation space. The gallery features a media lab with 3D fabrication and printing facilities.
- Dimillo's on the Water: A floating restaurant housed in a former car ferry on Long Wharf specializing in Lobster and classic Maine cuisine.
- Duckfat: Pays homage to Maine’s Franco-American heritage by offering its duck-fat fries with a poutine option — smothered in two types of cheese curds and duck gravy.
- Boda: A Thai kitchen serving regular specials that remind you of the street vendors of Bangkok.
- Eventide Oyster Co: One of the trendiest restaurants in Portland, sample local oysters and some of the best fried fish in Maine.
Saco & Biddeford
- Part & Parcel: A small specialty market and cafe in the heart of downtown Biddeford, perfect for a quick sandwich or pre-made salad.
- Quiero Cafe: Savory Latin American cuisine featuring empanadas, burritos, and tamales along with several kinds of coffee, smoothies, and tropical juices.
- Rapid Ray's: A family owned business and Saco staple sitting right on Saco's main street; delivering a menu of hot dogs, hamburgers, and onion rings.
- Elda: A high-end option to Biddeford’s Main Street, serving a menu of locally-sourced small plates with a seafood focus.