From the Headmaster
Welcome to Thornton Academy! I am so pleased that you are interested in learning about our school and all that Thornton Academy has to offer.
We are an independent day and boarding school with a proud, 200-year tradition of excellence. Our students attend Thornton Academy from dozens of towns throughout southern Maine, nearby states, and over 20 different countries. The geographic, cultural, and socioeconomic diversity of our student body creates a unique and dynamic learning environment that fosters a greater appreciation of both our individual differences and the values we share in common. Among those shared values are Thornton Academy’s Core Pillars of respect, responsibility, compassion and investment – values that guide our work and how we treat one another within our school community.
Thornton Academy is a school where students can be who they are and discover who they aspire to be. We are dedicated to supporting the individual needs and goals of every student by offering the most comprehensive program you’ll find anywhere. Our students are encouraged to explore interests and discover their passion among our vast academic, arts, athletic, and community service offerings. The opportunities for students are endless:
- Over 200 academic course offerings
- 24 Advanced Placement (AP) courses
- 7 world languages, including Arabic and Chinese
- Orchestra, choral, jazz, drama, visual arts, and dance
- Engineering, computer programming, robotics, and 3-D animation
- Championship caliber athletic teams
- Over 40 student clubs
- Opportunities for middle school students to enroll in honors level high school courses and opportunities for high school students to earn college credits through our unique college and university partnerships
Regardless of your interests or abilities, there is a place for you at Thornton Academy. Our school community is warm, welcoming, and diverse. We are a school where students build strong relationships with dedicated teachers, and student friendships that last a lifetime. Our faculty and staff will challenge you to be your best and support you every step of the way.
I invite you to visit our campus to meet our faculty and staff, talk to students, and learn how you can join our school community.
Rene M. Menard